[fptex] syntax to pass entire file name to includegraphics in pdflatex

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek@ruf.uni-freiburg.de
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 00:11:25 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Luis A Escobar wrote:

> I am trying to pass an entire file name to includegraphics using pdflatex
> but

> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{{}}

Why this line? \DeclareGrahicsExtensions is only
needed in seldom cases. Delete it.

> \includegraphics{device.b.degradation.data.pdf}

Now ".b.degradation.data.pdf" is the extension,
you have to mask the other dots, eg.:

\newcommand*{\DOT}{.}
\includegraphics{device\DOT b\DOT degradation\DOT data}

Now, without \DeclareGraphicsExtensions, the graphics
can choose the right format, if the graphics is available
in different formats, for example as EPS and PDF file.
Then the document can be processed by LaTeX/dvips
without changing the source code.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek@uni-freiburg.de>