[fptex] wadalab.map not found...

ALAN A DUNWELL DUNWELL@jila.colorado.edu
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:03:35 -0700

Howdy fpTeX Folks,

I have an installation of fpTeX 0.4b running on an NT fileserver which works
well for attached machines. One client needs it on a laptop (WinXP) so I just
dragged and dropped the structure to his machine. I then made the appropriate
changes to his PATH env. variable so that executables are found. I am using
WinEDT as the frontend.

The networked version used VARTEXFONTS to redirect font writing and I removed
this variable in my texmf.cnf file on the laptop so that it would make fonts
directly in the font tree.

LaTeX works fine.
When I run dvipreview it seems to generates fonts and previews.
when I run dvips to create a .ps file mktexpk makes the fonts, but I also get
the message

gfstopk.exe: fatal: dvips config file `wadalab.map' not found.
mktexpk: VARTEXFOTNS is not defined. Using ...{local path to default dir here}

The VARTEXFOTNS notice is correct, that does not exist as I mentioned above. I
checked my tree and the original tree on the network and there is no file
wadalab.map in either place. I thought it might be related to a previous
problem that I had with gfstopk so I did a download and install as previously
suggested by Fabrice of the latest/greatest gfstopk. This made no difference.

As relates to this wadalab.map file:
What config file references or defines it?
What does it do?
Why wasn't it needed before?
Do I need it now? The Fatal seems to imply yes, but the fonts were build OK.
Suggestions as to a fix/workaround?

Thanks,
Alan Dunwell