[fptex] Fptex 0.5-beta1 installation problems

LUK ShunTim cestluk@polyu.edu.hk
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:20:45 +0800

Dear fptexers,

I did an install using the "current" = 0.5-beta1 version on an W2K SP2
machine and here's what I found.

1. I used the geftptex.bat to download everything to my c:\00inst\fptex
and I have to download the tpm.zip manually as it was not included
in getftpex.bat.

2. TeXSetup.exe doesn't work well. I tried a few times and the results
seemed to vary each time. Basically it succeeded in creating the
bin/win32 texmf trees but fail at mktexlsr. Here's an excerpt of the
last log, with some comments.

<quote>
TeXLive 6.0 Setup Wizard Report
Date: Tuesday, July 17, 2001
Time: 18:10:36
	Source	    Dir: C:\00Inst\fpTeX
	Root	    Dir: F:\
	Main  Texmf Dir: F:\texmf
	Local Texmf Dir: F:\localtexmf
	Extra Texmf Dir:
	Home  Texmf Dir: F:\00Doc\texmf
	Var   Texmf Dir: F:\texmf-var
	Var   Fonts Dir: F:\texmf-var\fonts

Changing permissions...
Creating F:\ directory and granting everyone read access to it.
Creating F:\texmf-var directory and granting everyone full access to it.
Creating F:\temp directory and granting everyone full access to it.
Installing support package collections/tex-basic

unzip C:/00Inst/fpTeX/collections/tex-basic.zip -d F:\
  inflating: F:/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/hypht1.tex

caution: filename not matched:  bin/win32/hugetex.bat

<!- No hugetex.bat created -->

Installing support package packages/dvipdfm

unzip C:/00Inst/fpTeX/packages/dvipdfm.zip -d F:
  inflating: F:./texmf/tpm/packages/dvipdfm.tpm
  inflating: F:./bin/win32/ebb.exe

<!- Strange to get a dot F:./ here -->
                           ^

unzip C:/00Inst/fpTeX/collections/tex-latex.zip -d F:
  inflating: F:./texmf/tpm/collections/tex-latex.tpm
  inflating: F:./bin/win32/LATEX2E.HLP
  inflating: F:./bin/win32/latex.exe
caution: filename not matched:  bin/win32/hugelatex.bat

<!- Again no hugelatex.bat created -->

Setting temporarily PATH = F:
Setting temporarily TEXMFCNF = F:\texmf-var\web2c
Setting temporarily TEXMFMAIN = F:\texmf
Running mktexlsr "F:\texmf"

Fatal error:
Cannot run the external command :

mktexlsr "F:\texmf"
Error: Configuration error flagged!
</quote>

I remembered installing version 0.4 the same way a couple of months ago
worked without a glitch.

BTW, is there any documentation on TeXSetup.exe other than texsetup -h.
The web page in www.ftpex.org seems to be on the previous version.

Good day,
ST