[fptex] mktexpk looking for ghostscript

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 05:01:10 +0100 (CET)

pascal barbedor <pascal.barbedor@laposte.net> writes:
> what is strange is that windvi is running mktexpk for fonts
> that exist in the fonts/tfm/... tree,  i can check that with
> kpsewhich fontname.tfm command (or is not looking for .tfm
> files ?)

It is not the problem of mktexpk. As Fabrice already explained, .tfm
files are only metric files used during TeX run. To display *real* fonts
on screen windvi has to generate on-the-fly bitmaps. The same for printing.

> I did not understand what line to comment out in config.ps, so that windvi
> uses normal fonts, the ones with tfm in public font subdir

Again, .tfm files are not glyphs...
There are, briefly, two possibilities:
1. config.ps contains
%p +bsr.map
=
windvi runs mktexpk, which invokes MetaFont and generates bitmap fonts
from the sources (.mf files).

2. config.ps contains
p +bsr.map

windvi runs mktexpk, which invokes GhostScript and generates bitmap fonts
from (installed/available)) PostScript outline fonts, just to display them.

Fabrice wrote:
> Sorry I have been very busy  lately, and I haven't yet  found a fix to
> this problem. Hopefully the   future seems a bit  brighter (especially
> because of Christmas Holydays !).

Do not bother, Fabrice. It is not real bug/problem ;-)

Mary Christmas for all/Joyeux No\"el pour tous,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl