It can't find my files

Bob Howlett bobh@maths.usyd.edu.au
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:28:08 +1100

Fabrice Popineau wrote:

> * Bob Howlett <bobh@maths.usyd.edu.au> writes:
>
> > it. So I tried kpsewhich tutmac.tex and, sure enough, kpsewhich
> > couldn't find it either.
>
> You need to give the name of the program that will look for it (tex by
> default):
> c:\>kpsewhich --progname=pdftex tutmac.tex
>
> > After considerable experimenting I have
> > found that if I rename the above directory to
> > c:\fptex\texmf-local\tex\plain and run mktexlsr again then kpsewhich
> > finds tutmac.tex.  This behavious has me baffled. Can anyone explain
> > it?
>
> D:\>kpsewhich --expand-var=$TEXINPUTS --progname=pdftex
> .;{!!d:/Local/TeXLive/texmf-var,
>    d:/Local/TeXLive/texmf-local,
>    !!d:/Local/TeXLive/texmf}/{pdftex,tex}/{plain,generic,}//
>
> Do you get something like this ? If yes, it should find it.
>
> Fabrice

kpsewhich --progname=pdftex tutmac.tex
and
kpsewhich --expand-var=$TEXINPUTS --progname=pdftex
both work as you say they should.

So now my only problem is this:
pdftex -ini -fmt=pdfamstex &pdftex amstex
produces pdfamstex.fmt, whereas
pdftex -ini -fmt=pdftutex &pdfamstex tutmac
gives "I can't find file 'tutmac'", even though
pdftex -ini &pdfamstex tutmac
works OK & produces tutmac.fmt. No great problem
of course, but I rather liked being able to set the format name on
the command line.

Bob