Override file location

Fabrice Popineau Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr
23 Mar 2000 21:28:26 +0100

* James Thompson <jamest@math.ksu.edu> writes:

> the web2c directory not the file itself.  Since the texmf.cf for
> fpTeX wants drive letters and the unix version doesn't I assume they
> can't be one and the same file so I'd like to have texmf.cnf be the

The trick is to use $SELFAUTO variables. On the TeX-Live CD, you have
all the architectures and the setup is more or less :

% The main tree, which must be mentioned in $TEXMF, below:
TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF;!!$VARTEXMF;!!$TEXMFLOCAL;!!$TEXMFMAIN}
% A place for local additions to a "standard" texmf tree.
TEXMFLOCAL = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-local

% User texmf trees can be catered for like this...
HOMETEXMF = $HOME/texmf

% A place where texconfig stores modifications (instead of the TEXMFMAIN
% tree).  texconfig relies on the name, so don't change it.
VARTEXMF = $SELFAUTOPARENT/texmf-var

% Now, list all the texmf trees. If you have multiple trees,
% use shell brace notation, like this:
%   TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF,!!$VARTEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}
% The braces are necessary.
TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF,$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$VARTEXMF,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

% The system trees.  These are the trees that are shared by all the users.
SYSTEXMF = $TEXMF

% The temporary area
% TEMP = /var/tmp

% Where generated fonts may be written.  This tree is used when the sources
% were found in a system tree and either that tree wasn't writable, or the
% varfonts feature was enabled in MT_FEATURES in mktex.cnf.
VARTEXFONTS = $VARTEXMF/fonts

% Where to look for ls-R files.  There need not be an ls-R in the
% directories in this path, but if there is one, Kpathsea will use it.
TEXMFDBS = {$HOMETEXMF;!!$VARTEXMF;!!$TEXMFLOCAL;!!$TEXMFMAIN}

Fabrice