dvips output error revisited...

ALAN A DUNWELL DUNWELL@jila.colorado.edu
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:52:52 -0700 (MST)

Howdy Rolf,

Good idea, but no cookie yet<g>. In the texmf.cnf I have defined
  HOMETEXMF = C:TEX
so everyone gets this. So I tried your idea and moved $HOMETEXMF to
the front of the list for the TEXMF definition. I then made the tree
  C:\TEX\DVIPS\CONFIG
and move a copy of config.ps there. I then modified it to have
  o \\jilant\publichp
which is the path\name of one of the network postscript printers. I
do not have a postscript printer attached to my pc, so I am pointing
to a network printer instead.

No luck, it still is picking up the config.ps from the network
location and printing to a file.ps instead. Just to be sure, I also
did the set HOMETEXMF in my autoexec.bat file and rebooted. I see it
when I do a  "set"  to show the local environment vars. Did I miss
something here? I'll keep poking it and see what I can do, perhaps
try your local printer option to see if it gets that.

Thoughts for future versions:
Even if I can get this working I still see it as a work-around in
that it is working at the DOS level. Fabrice, I'm impressed with what
you and Thomas E. have already done so all this is mostly just
niggley little complaints. It would be nice in future iterations to
have fpTeX, WinDVI, and dvips be able to detect Windows level
definitions such as the present default printer. That way a user can
just change their default printer in Windows and have dvips pick up
that change when piping output to the local equivalent of "lpr".
I'm a little surprised that WinEdit doesn't trap the output from
dvips and pop up a printer selection screen to windows printers.
Boy, do I want everything or WHAT! Durn Fussy users! Just a thought.

Thanks,
Alan Dunwell