windvi 0.66 pre1

Fabrice POPINEAU Fabrice.Popineau@supelec.fr
20 Sep 1999 14:51:06 +0200

Bob Howlett <bobh@maths.usyd.edu.au> writes:

> Otherwise, I like it! Printing is working for the first time,
> and I was able to include .bmp and .jpg pictures in test
> files and actually see them with windvi.

Great !

> Being by preference a user of plain TeX rather than LaTeX, I'd
> like to know the syntax of the \special commands windvi recognizes;
> so I'd appreciate it if this could be included in the documentation
> eventually. (I actually got .jpg and .bmp \specials to work by
> some guessing, but I'd like to know for certain.)

The same as dvips does, but yes I could document them and their usage.
Currently, it is supporting :

- quotes like :
  \vbox to 100bp{
    \special{" newpath 000 000 moveto 100 100 lineto 394 0 lineto
      closepath gsave 0.8 setgray fill grestore stroke}\vfil}
- psfig specials introduced by "ps:"
- epsf specials introduced by "psfile"
- ps headers introduced by "header"
- bang specials which will run a shell introduced by "!" (actually, it
would be nice if windvi could handle returned formats other than ps)
- color specials ("background", "color push", "color pop"
- "landscape" and "papersize" are recognized but not honoured, should
they be ?
- "em:graph file,width,height" for bmp or wmf/emf files
- source specials (not yet released, but soon) "src:%n%f" (line number
and filename)
- tpic specials

Fabrice