DVIPS woes

Prof Brian D Ripley ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu, 27 May 1999 06:50:40 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 26 May 1999, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> Ruben Prins writes:
>  > I'm currently running fpTeX 0.3a and whenever I try to let dvips load the
>  > Bakoma Type1 CM fonts, dvips stops with the error
>  >
>  > <cmmi10.pfb> First number not found
>  > ERROR in encoding vector in <cmmi10.pfb>
>  >
> dont use the BaKoMa fonts, for a start. The BlueSky/Y&Y ones are
> better

Where they both exist, of course, and in a few cases (like cmmib6, I
recall) they only exist in BaKoMa. I have never hit this, but met it when I
helped a grad student install fpTeX 0.3something when trying the only LaTeX
document he has ever written.

>  > Am I missing something here?
>  >
> a change in dvips means that the BaKoMa fonts break the partial
> downloading code. maddening, but true. there are cleaned versions on
> the TeX Live CD

Can you clarify please: are you saying the BaKoMa fonts on TexLive4
are different from those on CTAN, and should be used in preference, or
that CTAN has updated fonts now?