PS fonts question

Fabrice POPINEAU popineau@ese-metz.fr
15 Mar 1999 08:33:23 +0100

"Richard Stanton" <stanton@haas.berkeley.edu> writes:

> Fabrice, you may not know the answer to this question, but I thought I'd ask
> anyway...
>
> I have the Type 1 pfb files on my system for all 35 basic Postscript fonts -
> Helvetica, Times-Roman etc. If I use dvips or windvi as they come
> configured, will these pfb files be used? I ask for two reasons:
>
> a. I'd like them to be used, if possible, to yield the best possible output.

Answer : yes for dvips, provided you include some bakoma or bsr map
file in your dvips/config/config.ps file .
And No for windvi. At least not yet. It might possible real soon to
use them under windvi if you have ATM (Adobe Type Manager). Maybe even
if you don't have it because Nicolai Langfelt has done some promising
work on xdvi in this direction.

> b. I notice that windvi calls gsftopk to generate PK files from PS fonts.

Yes, gsftopk is windvi rasterizer for type1 fonts.

> I've tried calling gsftopk directly, but the --debug flag doesn't seem to
> work. If I call, for example,

Will look at it.

Thanks,

--