Font problem with pdftex 13c

P.W.Daly, MPAe, Lindau, Germany daly@linpwd.mpae.gwdg.de
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:11:15 +0200

There have been some comments on the font finding problem with pdftex 13c.

I too have discovered this and reported it to Fabrice because I was not sure if
it was a problem with fptex or pdftex itself. He tells me he passed the message
on to Thanh.

Anyway, I managed to find simple plain TeX and LaTeX examples to demonstrate
the problem. Originally I discovered it in a 500 page document and it took me
half a day to figure out where the problem was. It seems it arises when a font
is first used in a size other than its base size.

The simple plain TeX demo:

  \font\test=cmdunh10 at 12pt\relax
  {\test Hi}

  Hi

  \bye

This will load cmdunh10.720pk if it exists (as it does for Fabrice) or declares
it cannot find cmdunh10 at 720 and loads nothing (my case).

A LaTeX example with the math times fonts:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{mathtime}
\begin{document}

% Here is $B$ and $\uparrow$ and $\sum$.

\begin{large}
\begin{tabular}{ll}
a & b\\
\end{tabular}
% Here is $B$ and $\uparrow$ and $\sum$.
\end{large}

Here is $B$ and $\uparrow$ and $\sum$.
\end{document}

Here it cannot find MTEX, MTSYN, and MTMI at 600, and I do not have 600pk files
for these. If the commented text lines are included (either one) then it works
fine. Or if the large environment is removed.

I solved my immediate problem by including an empty tabular environment at
normalsize, and I also had to print \copyright in normalsize (with white paint;
\phantom did not work) and then add negative vspace. Not very satisfactory.

Many people are recommending sticking to 13b for now. I skipped that, going
directly from 13a to c, and with 13a (and 12r) I had troubles importing
graphics when there were too many. 13b is no longer on Fabrice's server so it
is no longer available. Maybe he can put it online again until 13d appears?

Regards,  Patrick
   Dr. Patrick W. Daly                    Tel. [+49] 5556-979-279
   Max-Planck-Institut fuer Aeronomie     Fax. [+49] 5556-979-240
   Max-Planck-Str. 2
   D-37191 Katlenburg-Lindau              Internet: daly@linmpi.mpg.de
   Germany