The new distribution

Bob Howlett bobh@maths.usyd.edu.au
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:39:38 +1100

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> John Hillas writes:
>  > I'm currently using pdftex 0.12r.  I've updated twice to 0.13 (once to
>  > b and once to c).  Both times I found that I got what were to me strange
>  > results.  On using pdfscreen.sty (with the screen and sidebar options)
>  > I had pdftex attempt to use pk fonts for *some* of the fonts (cmr10,
>  > but not cmr12, msam10, msbm10, and a few others).  As far as I can tell
>
> thats a symptom of 0.13c, I am afraid. I have tried to make
> a simple test file for Thanh, but it seems unpredictable. I'd advise
> reverting to 0.13b until a solution is found
>
> Sebastian

Thanks for this information! I had just been helping a colleague install
pdftex, and he encountered this problem on the first file he tried.
I had never encountered it before, but I had only used plain pdftex
rather
than pdflatex with version 13c. With a very simple (one word) latex
file pdflatex was able to find cmr10.pfb, but with a two page file
which used amsart.cls and a locally written style file it could
not find cmr10.pfb.

I've given my colleague version 13b.

Bob