GSTools , UNC path naming not supported,?, and WinEdit...

ALAN A DUNWELL DUNWELL@jnov.colorado.edu
Tue, 09 Mar 1999 09:58:00 -0700 (MST)

I did an install of the beta and pointed the file destination to be
onto our NT File server machine. I used a UNC naming convention.
While most of the install may have gone OK (see second and third
items) at least the documentation does not seem to be working.

- When I start the fptex Documentation from my program menu, it
starts Netscape and finds
   \\JILANT\APPS\WIN32\FPTEX\TEXMF\DOC\HTML\FPTEX\FPTEX~1.HTM
the main page. However, when I try to access any of the items on that
page I get an error message such as
   Netscape is unable to find the file or directory named:
    //JILANT/APPS/WIN32/FPTEX/TEXMF/DOC/HTML/FPTEX/fptexse2.html
(Note that it is using all forward slashes as if UNIX, perhaps an
issue. Perhaps it does not like the UNC naming rather than a drive
letter.)

- since I already have ghostview and gstools installed, I elected to
not install these. However I got a message saying that the install
noted that I hadn't select them, so it would install them for me
anyway. I assume that this is because the main file for my
installation of gs are over on the network drive, not on my C:
drive. When the ghost* installation started, I deselected everything
and it finally exited with a message that the gs install had failed.
Why did it not just skip the whole thing?

- When the WinEdit tried to install, it failed with an Error 2 and
dropped me back to the main desktop.

I now see only four items on the program menu
   Maintenance folder with three items
   fpTeX Documentation
   fpTeX Help Index
   Windvi Viewer
Should there be an item(s) for fptex itself? Since I can not access
the documentation and there was not readme file I am not sure if this
is correct or not. If so, how does one start fptex?

- one last item/suggestion. Although the install stated that it
modified the autoexec.bat file, that file was not documented as to
the change. Perhaps a line such as
  rem Next line added by fpTeX
  HOME=C:
would fit better with normal autoexec.bat modification protocol.

Alan Dunwell