WIN NT file searching problems in (pdf)tex

Fabrice POPINEAU popineau@ese-metz.fr
02 Mar 1999 09:11:51 +0100

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> ConTeXt uses the auxiliary file 'jobname.tuo'. When this file is input,
> tex is supposed to search for only this file. When using this remote
> disk however, I got something like this:
>
> (jobname.tuo.tex) file access problem
> (jobname.tuo.tex) file acesss problem
> (jobname.tuo)
>
> So, tex seems to ask for .tex files first (two times) and then for the
> real one. I'm not sure of it should be in the design of current tex to
> handle files with more than one dot, but I think it makes sense to
> search for the file asked for first. It seems like the .tuo is not
> considered to be part of the filename. I have no explanation for the
> double search for '.tex'.

This is not the way kpathsea does its job :

  /* Search #1: NAME doesn't have a suffix which is equal to a "standard"
     suffix.  For example, foo.bar, but not foo.tex.  We look for the
     name with the standard suffixes appended. */

  /* Search #2: Just look for the name we've been given, provided non-suffix
     searches are allowed or the name already includes a suffix. */

  /* Search #3 (sort of): Call mktextfm or whatever to create a
     missing file.  */

These are the files that are looked for.
I guess the second try on .tuo.tex could be avoided by some !! .

I don't  think  that we can  do  much about  the search  order without
breaking  previous  behaviour  (Olaf ?).   However,   yes, it would be
plausible to first  look for what filename  has been given, especially
if it has already an extension.

--
Fabrice