WIN NT file searching problems in (pdf)tex

Hans Hagen pragma@wxs.nl
Tue, 02 Mar 1999 08:31:44 +0100

Hi Both,

Yesterday I tried to run something on a Win95 PC using a drive on an NT
server (so: tex runs on the local machine, but the data is read from and
written to a server disk). (I cannot do any more tests because it's
about 200 km from here).

ConTeXt uses the auxiliary file 'jobname.tuo'. When this file is input,
tex is supposed to search for only this file. When using this remote
disk however, I got something like this:

(jobname.tuo.tex) file access problem
(jobname.tuo.tex) file acesss problem
(jobname.tuo)

So, tex seems to ask for .tex files first (two times) and then for the
real one. I'm not sure of it should be in the design of current tex to
handle files with more than one dot, but I think it makes sense to
search for the file asked for first. It seems like the .tuo is not
considered to be part of the filename. I have no explanation for the
double search for '.tex'.

Remark: this phenomena do not happen when I process the same files on a
local disk, only the remote one. The system people assured me that there
were no limits in privileges on that disk. (Concerning tex running in a
dos box: 'i don't know that problem, is this linux running, i've never
seen such program etc', so I don't expect much help from those system
people).

In general I think that any file access error is to be equivalent to
eof.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma@wxs.nl