Compatibility of WinDVI 0.63 with MiKTeX 1.20b

Eli Zaretskii eliz@is.elta.co.il
Sun, 20 Jun 1999 10:50:13 +0300 (IDT)

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999, Cho, Jin-Hwan wrote:

> Case I. At first I have a dos prompt, and run "windvi xxx" on the dos
>         prompt. After that, in the same dos prompt, run "latex xxx".
>         In this case, there is no problem.
>
> Case II. If I use WinEdt32 instead of dos prompt, there is problem
>          always.
>
> Case III. At first run "windvi xxx" on the dos prompt same as Case I.
>           Runnung "latex xxx" does not cause any problem. Run WinEdt32
>           without openning TeX file. Rerunning "latex xxx" in dos
>           prompt cause problem. Now close WinEdt32 and rerun "latex xxx"
>           in dos prompt again. Then the same problem occurs again.

This sounds a lot like some problem with two programs that try to open
the same file.  Yes, I know Fabrice said that he closes the file, but
it might be a good idea to make sure Windows knows about that ;-)

I have a small program that enumerates all files open in the system,
including files open by all applications and by the OS.  It reports
all files with the mode they were open, so you could guess what
program did that by looking at the mode bits.

This program was tested on Windows 9X, so if the above happens on
Windows 95 or 98, I can send the binary to whoever wants it.  It
will not work on NT.