Compatibility of WinDVI 0.63 with MiKTeX 1.20b

Cho, Jin-Hwan chofchof@baro.kaist.ac.kr
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 10:28:51 +0900

Fabrice POPINEAU wrote:

> I explicitly close the file each time windvi gives the focus
> and reopen it when it is given the focus back, so maybe i'm not
> doing it right, but I can't see why MiKTeX LaTeX would not be able to
> write on the dvi file ...

I have tested WinDVI 0.63 with MiKTeX in different setting.

Case I. At first I have a dos prompt, and run "windvi xxx" on the dos
        prompt. After that, in the same dos prompt, run "latex xxx".
        In this case, there is no problem.

Case II. If I use WinEdt32 instead of dos prompt, there is problem
         always.

Case III. At first run "windvi xxx" on the dos prompt same as Case I.
          Runnung "latex xxx" does not cause any problem. Run WinEdt32
          without openning TeX file. Rerunning "latex xxx" in dos
          prompt cause problem. Now close WinEdt32 and rerun "latex xxx"
          in dos prompt again. Then the same problem occurs again.

I have not tested another editors. I want to know that any other people
have the same problem. Is the problem related to WinEdt32?

One more thing for WinDVI 0.63. At first time, I installed the file
windvi63.zip in CTAN (not in fpTeX-0.3). The windvi.exe in this zip file
did not work correctly, especially a violation error window occurs every
time when I close WinDVI. But it did not happen the windvi.exe in the
package fpTeX-0.3. Could you check it, Fabrice?

Best, ChoF.

--
| Visiting Research Fellow  |    o
| Department of Mathematics |   ~~~