\input problem

Fabrice Popineau fabrice.popineau@supelec.fr
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 08:03:44 +0200

> However when I run latex on a file, then latex cannot find files
> in
>
> \input{addtex.def}
>
> which is in another directory than the tex file. However, after modifying
> the
>
> TEXINPUTS
>
> variables in texmf.cnf file, then
>
> kpsewhich
>
> can find the file. I.e. kpsewhich  provides the right path to addtex.def.
> What is wrong?

You should not modify these variables directly. If your file is some local
file,
it should be added to $TEXMFLOCAL/tex/latex/misc for example, and then
rebuild ls-R databases.

If it is a specific file, and it is stored in some relative path like
../../foo/addtex.def,
then you should check about permissions (in texmf.cnf) to open files :

% Allow TeX \openin, \openout, or \input on filenames starting with `.'
% (e.g., .rhosts) or outside the current tree (e.g., /etc/passwd)?
% a (any)        : any file can be opened.
% r (restricted) : disallow opening "dotfiles".
% p (paranoid)   : as 'r' and disallow going to parent directories, and
%                  restrict absolute paths to be under $TEXMFOUTPUT.
openout_any = p
openin_any = a

Fabrice