dvips doesn't find config.ps under (my setup with) Win 98

Eli Zaretskii eliz@is.elta.co.il
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 17:10:28 +0300 (IDT)

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, John Hillas wrote:

> The method you suggested for checking reveals that kpsewhich
> does find config.ps
>
>   C:\TeX\texmf>kpsewhich --format="dvips config" config.ps
>   c:/TeX/texmf.local/dvips/config/config.ps
>
> However dvips isn't using it.  Can one check what
> configuration files dvips is using.

dvips uses the same "dvips config" files, I already checked that before
replying to you the previous time.

The only way I can think of that causes dvips to lose where kpsewhich
succeeds would be if you have defined dvips-specific environment
variables, like DVIPS.something.  Otherwise, it should find the files
exactly like kpsewhich does.  The use the same library and the same
function calls.

> All the expected files are in the ls-R databases.  In
> particular bsr.map is in ls-R for the texmf tree.  However
>
> C:\TeX\texmf>kpsewhich --format="map" bsr.map
>
> just returns me the empty command line.  Should it?

Let's concentrate on a single file config.ps for the time being, shall
we?  After that is solved, either bsr.map will also be solved, or we can
then tackle this problem separately.

> C:\TeX\texmf>kpsewhich --debug=-1 --format=map bsr.map | more
>
> 1) didn't work the way I'd hoped.

I think the debug info goes to stderr, not to stdout, and the shell
doesn't redirect it.  If you run on NT, use cmd.exe as your shell, I
think it supports the 2> notation that will redirect stderr to a file.
Alternatively, find some utility that would allow you to redirect stderr
or capture everything that goes to the screen.

Whatever you do, please save the *entire* and *complete* trace of the
dvips run, otherwise crucial hints as to the nature of the problem might
be missing from what you do capture.

> Setting KPSE_DEBUG=-1 doesn't seem to have any effect.

Sorry, it was my fault: the variable's name is KPATHSEA_DEBUG.  Please
set it to -1 and run dvips (not kpsewhich, since the latter does find
config.ps).  But you must first solve the problem of capturing the
entire debugging output of dvips.