dvips doesn't find config.ps under (my setup with) Win 98

John Hillas j.hillas@auckland.ac.nz
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 10:53:47 +1200

I find that I'm having some problem with dvips.  Any
suggestions at this point would be most welcome.

I have recently (over the last year (?) ) been using
almost exclusively pdftex, but am now working on a
paper that, due to historical accident and co-authors,
uses texdraw, and so I'm using tex + dvips + distiller.

Things went fine at the office where I use Win NT, but
when I tried to work on the paper at home I could not
make my changes to config.ps take effect.

This lead me to wonder what silly thing I'd done this
time.  So with the realease of O.3e I decided to simply
get rid of the current installation and upgrade to a
clean new version.  But dvips still doesn't find
config.ps.

I think I have the obvious things set up properly.

kpsewhich reports:

C:\TeX\texmf>kpsewhich -expand-path $TEXCONFIG
.;c:/TeX/texmf.local/dvips;c:/TeX/texmf.local/dvips/config;c:/TEX/texmf/dvip
s;c:
/TEX/texmf/dvips/gsftopk;c:/TEX/texmf/dvips/psutils;c:/TEX/texmf/dvips/confi
g;c:
/TEX/texmf/dvips/misc;c:/TEX/texmf/dvips/psfrag;c:/TEX/texmf/dvips/pstricks;
c:/T
EX/texmf/dvips/xypic;c:/TEX/texmf/dvips/bluesky;c:/TEX/texmf/dvips/base

I have two copies of config.ps in my TeX tree,
at c:/TeX/texmf.local/dvips/config
and at c:/TEX/texmf/dvips/config

(Windows Find File confirms that these are the only copies.)
I changed the copy at c:/TeX/texmf.local/dvips/config
to read, in part,

% Configuration of postscript type 1 fonts:
% p psfonts.map

% This shows how to add your own map file.
% Remove the comment and adjust the name:
% p +myfonts.map
 p acrobat-ext-adobe-buildin.map
 p +bsr.map
 p +bsr-interpolated.map
 p +hoekwater.map

but this made no difference to the behaviour of dvips.
(So I then changed the other copy too.  Not too surprisingly
this didn't make any difference.) dvips continued to
use psfonts.map.  I know this because when in desperation
I put the contents of bsr.map, etc. into psfonts.map it had
the expected effect.

Should kpsewhich find config.sp? Mine doesn't.

  C:\TeX\texmf>kpsewhich config.ps

just gives me the command prompt.

But

  C:\TeX\texmf>kpsewhich psfonts.map
  c:/TEX/texmf/dvips/config/psfonts.map

However

  C:\TeX\texmf>kpsewhich bsr.map

again just gives the command prompt.  Should it
find bsr.map?  (It is there.)

Can someone confirm that they have fptex running
under Win 98?  (I'm sure there are, but I'll ask anyway.)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do next.
(My son thinks that "Stop working at home and let me use
the computer," is a good choice.)

Finally, my file system is FAT 32, if that's relevant.

Thanks, (I hope)

John