installation comments on 3e-zip...

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 05:52:14 +0200 (MET DST)

Jody Klymak wrote:
> Just to answer a couple of these for Fabrice (to save him the typing!):

Right!

> > - Despite your comments that the -zip folder version was
> > InstallShield, I did not find it to be so, just the files.

> Many people just wanted the files w/o the InstallShield, so Fabrice
> makes them available via .zip.

I'd like again to suggest distributing the whole stuff _only_ in zip
chunks _with_ InstallShield or whatever (like teTeX, MikTeX etc.).
It would be much easier to download and check each module then one great
.cab with auxiliary files. I hope that for Fabrice would be also
easier preparing just one instance, not two.

> - What is the reason for a folder of man pages? There is no man
> utility for Windows that I know of. Yes/No?

Some people have emacs or even man for win32 (I failed to install
such man ;-) Fortunately all man pages are also in texmf/doc/manpages
in PS format, oops, something new: they are in .dvi by now ;-).
See also texmf/doc/html/manpages/

Alan Dunwell:
> - Text files brought directly from a UNIX type machine, such as the
> one in info have bad line termination when brought to Win/DOS based

Info files should be read by info program (from gnutools). I'd recommend it.
Notepad is a tool for nothing more then to delete. Try so many
free available editors/viewers.

I have also some comments concerning descriptions of packages during install:
fptex->doc
generic->doc
pdftex->doc
etc. displays always the same info
The same is for every latex instance...

fonts->pl  `Literate programming for Prolog...' ???

web2c   `the standard source C version...' ???
   [the package contains texmf/web2c/ config and auxiliary files]

latex->jknappen  has strange Joerg's name (html source ;-)

latex->general
latex->config
latex->base
still have no any description. It would be mostly welcome.

Perhaps the problems with items and their proper descriptions is due
to packaging method?

By the way, one of the best written documentation I've read is now
fptex.html. Many thanks for it, Fabrice.
Please only check the part about config.ps, some lines should be break.

Staszek Wawrykiewicz
email: staw@gust.org.pl