installation comments on 3e-zip...

ALAN A DUNWELL DUNWELL@jila.colorado.edu
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:43:10 -0700 (MST)

Howdy Fabrice,

Good job in general on the 3e version. Some comments for the next
itterations...

- There needs to be a ReadMe type file in the ftp site subdirectory
that has download and installation instructions. It is not clear how
to proceed.
- Despite your comments that the -zip folder version was
InstallShield, I did not find it to be so, just the files.
- If a person uses an older Windows FTP program such as WinSockFTP or
a DOS based FTP, they will be eight-dot-three based in their dealings
with filenames. Files such as  makeindex.zip  will be truncated on
retrieval to be makeinde.zip. The same holds true when UnZipping,
older PKUnZip will truncate file names. Information in the above
mentioned ReadMe file should indicate that programs like WinZip
should be used.
- What is the reason for a folder of man pages? There is no man
utility for Windows that I know of. Yes/No?
- Text files brought directly from a UNIX type machine, such as the
one in info have bad line termination when brought to Win/DOS based
machines. They have a <LF> termination, not <CR><LF>, so if you try
to type them or view them in Notepad they are a mess. You can see
them in WordPad since it adds in the <CR>.
- Installation onto an NT server for use by attached workstations
seems to have gone OK. I am unable to check font creation to the
$VARTEXFONT location until I learn how to make the texconfig or
its equivilant work (previous post).

This looks like a bunch of complaint, but it is not intended that
way, just suggestions and commments. Overall it is a fine
distribution so far. Many thanks!

Alan