mktexpk can't find my fonts anymore!

Jody Klymak jklymak@apl.washington.edu
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:49:50 -0800

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Can I have the answer to my simple question, please???

Sure, I appologize if I was being dense.

Here's today's debugging steps:

1) remove all pk files I can find.

2) run mktexlsr

3) check c:/TeX/texmf/ls-R - no pk fonts.

4) run windiv (since I am unsure exactly how windvi calls mktexpk)
This makes  c:/TeX/texmf/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cm/cmsy10.657pk among other
fonts.

5) check c:/TeX/texmf/ls-R:  The fonts are now listed with individual entries...
./fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cm/:
cmsy10.657pk
./fonts/pk/modeless/adobe/times/:
ptmb8r.864pk
./fonts/pk/modeless/adobe/times/:
ptmr8r.720pk
*** etc ***

6) run windvi again.  Same behaviour.
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag magstep\(0.5\) --dpi 657
cmsy10

mktexpk: c:/TeX/texmf/fonts//pk/ljfour/public/cm///cmsy10.657pk already exists.

7) ran "kpsewhich cmsy10.657pk"  Still returns an empty string.

Now perhaps I am simply confused and this is all ok.  But it seems like if the
font exists, windvi should not try and make it.  (The whole thing is certainly
faster now that I removed the double // from my TEXMF environment variable.)

> Does the c:/TeX/texmf/ls-R get updated with the newly-created
> cmsy10.657pk, after mktexpk generates it?  Believe me, I insist on
> asking this question because I think it can unlock your problem.  So
> please, *please*, PLEASE, tell me the answer.

Yes, the entries are added right at the very end of ls-R.

> This is incorrect, unless you have overridden every default in the
> book.  Since you say you are using the default out-of-the-box setup, I
> don't think it's true.  mktexpk uses Kpathsea, so it cannot use any
> set of rules different from what Kpathsea does.

I haven't had time to get too involved in the documentation, but from what I
skimmed, it seems that kpathsea cares about the suffix on a file.  But I may
very well be misunderstanding.

Thanks for your help, and I appologize if I am being obtuse.  I'm just trying to
feel my way through what seems liek a weird problem.

Cheers,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak                         APL/School of Oceanography,
mailto:jklymak@apl.washington.edu   University of Washington