next version

Siep Kroonenberg siepo@cybercomm.nl
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 21:21:12 +0100 (CET)

Sebastian Rahtz writes:
 > Erik Frambach writes:
 >  >But seriously, Windows users are
 >  > different.
 > you dont have any *evidence* for that, of course, other than hearsay
 >
 >  > > do you *really* think that TeX is going to be used by such people anyway?
 >  >
 >  > And do you *really* want to keep TeX a mysterious game for insiders only?
 > yes, of course. what, let the great unwashed play with our toys?????
 >
 > Sebastian

The really annoying thing is collecting your information from three
different sources, any of which may be slightly out of date or
otherwise not quite applicable. By the way, this is the bad part about
generating formats.

Over the last year, I have been acclimatizing to Linux, ie. weaning
myself from context-sensitive help, and instead poring over manual
pages and learning a new configuration syntax for each new
program. And getting used to the download-compile-run-crash-download
cycle. I am making progress: in another year I will have forgotten how
that looks like to a Windows user.

But selecting a bunch of zipfiles doesn't sound so bad, provided there
is a good readme file telling people what they need.

Siep