mf nowin

Taco Hoekwater taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl
Mon, 01 Feb 1999 11:50:56 +0000 (/etc/localtime)

    Fabrice> Maybe you can help me then :-) When does mf decide to
    Fabrice> open the window?  I mean, if I run 'mf cmr10' , I will
    Fabrice> get it. But not if I use mktexpk to generate some tfm/pk
    Fabrice> file. I guess there is some 'batchmode' that prevents it
    Fabrice> from opening the window.

Don't have the mf book handy, and it is not clear in the web source
because of system dependancies, but I think the logic is that MF opens
a window whenever proofing is > 0 at shipout(). proofing gets set
to 0 by all "real modes", but is "1" for the default case of proofmode
(2606 dpi gf). And there is the "openwindow" primitive which is of
course under user control.

All decisions in that piece of the code in mf depend on whether or not
the initialization of the windowing system returned false or true. The
new trick is obviously to return "false" (just like a terminal-only
program would). It renders "openwindow" useless, but it also kills off
the default behaviour wich is otherwise not changeable because
"proofing" is also used to decide on other info. (quote: "...it is
generally unwise to overload variables...").

Greetings, Taco
--
Taco Hoekwater                                 taco.hoekwater@wkap.nl
Kluwer Academic Publishers                            -- Pre Press --