questions on windvi

Harriet B Borton bortonh@rpi.edu
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:37:44 -0500

Hi all,
I've just installed the TeXLive4 CD on a WinNT system, and I've run into some
problems. Because the install is for a public PC lab at our university, I did
not use the default root of c:\TeX, but rather c:\applications\TeX. (I
wouldn't think this would cause problems.)

The main problem is that windvi will not let me save settings. From the menu,
I try to change the page size to us letter, but when I exit, an error comes
up saying it can't save settings. Does anyone know why this would be and how
I can fix it? Also, the File menu item "Print through dvips" is grayed out.
This would be a very nice feature, as I really don't know how to print. We
have PS printers here, and I'd like to be able to use dvips to go directly to
a printer.

Another stange thing happened: when I clicked on a file called symbols.tex in
the ...doc/latex/ directory, my computer hung up and I had to power off/on.

I'd be grateful for any hints.

-Harriet

--
Harriet B. Borton
Applications Consultant, Academic Computing Services