LaTeX question

Dr. A. D. Snider snider@eng.usf.edu
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:15:42 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to all who responded. I am further along, but still not there.

 I just downloaded the latest version of miktex. I did not download the
 level 3 or level 4 zipped packages. I installed, but when I type

>   latex c:\...
>
> on a file that used to compile (under a very old version), I get an
error message about a  "I can't find the default format file"; I was advised by one of you to
run "fptexutils", but I can't find it anywhere on the drive. Any advice? I
am a novice with DOS.