bufsize

Olaf Weber olaf@infovore.xs4all.nl
01 May 1999 00:37:51 +0200

Bernd Raichle writes:

>> Do we need a maximum [for buf_size]?

> TeX is reading text input files line by line...

Since TeX itself is built around processing complete input lines one
at a time, in a limited-size buffer we cannot escape some maximum.  It
looks like the buf_size_sup can be significantly increased, though.

Still, I would like to stress that you should not feed binary files to
TeX.  It isn't set up to handle those at all.  If handling those
better were the only rationale for increasing the bufsize, then I
wouldn't bother.

--
Olaf Weber

Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins,
        for they are quick to anger and have no need for subtlety.