windvi 0.54

Michael Grant mcgrant@clarity-wireless.com
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:48:41 -0700

------ =_NextPart_001_01BDE712.04F52366

We are in complete agreement that the documentation should be readable
upon download.

And of course, even Windows users should read the documentation. I may
be a typical Windows user, but a rather young one---all of my experience
until only a couple of years ago was as a Unix user and sysadmin. On
Unix, if you can't find the docs, it's hopeless :-(

Still, I will remain firmly entrenched in an anti-man/gawk/info camp.

You're right, I'd probably be waiting a long time for it to happen, but
HTML documentation would benefit all platforms, not just Windows. The
transition may be slower, but Unix ought to be moving towards HTML-based
documentation---if for no other reason but to be sure that virtually
_everyone_ has the required documentation reader, _and knows how to use
it_.

Nevertheless, the info browser does indeed seem like a good compromise
for now. I was primarily objecting to the inclusion of Perl, and as I
said any more general Unix vs. Windows bickering will just have to take
a back seat.

------ =_NextPart_001_01BDE712.04F52366

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.5.1960.3">
<TITLE>RE: windvi 0.54</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>We are in complete agreement that the documentation =
should be readable upon download.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>And of course, even Windows users should read the =
documentation. I may be a typical Windows user, but a rather young =
one---all of my experience until only a couple of years ago was as a =
Unix user and sysadmin. On Unix, if you can't find the docs, it's =
hopeless :-(</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Still, I will remain firmly entrenched in an =
anti-man/gawk/info camp.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>You're right, I'd probably be waiting a long time for =
it to happen, but HTML documentation would benefit all platforms, not =
just Windows. The transition may be slower, but Unix ought to be moving =
towards HTML-based documentation---if for no other reason but to be =
sure that virtually _everyone_ has the required documentation reader, =
_and knows how to use it_. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Nevertheless, the info browser does indeed seem like =
a good compromise for now. I was primarily objecting to the inclusion =
of Perl, and as I said any more general Unix vs. Windows bickering will =
just have to take a back seat.</FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------ =_NextPart_001_01BDE712.04F52366--