Windvi0.56 GS problem

Staszek Wawrykiewicz StaW@gust.org.pl
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 05:27:09 +0200 (MET DST)

Well, after so many atempts I finally downloaded windvi56b.
File ->Open -> Close is now OK.
The only problem is with interaction with gs, but even started
with -debug 4000 Log File window doesn't show any message concerning
gs invoke.
Perhaps this can help to catch it: try to dismiss (close) Log File window
when displaying pages: 2, 3 or 14 of wtest.dvi.
You can close it only when displaying other pages.

Without -debug the only Log Window displayed is when you attempt to show
page 14, so I think the problem is here. Only after displaying page 14
you have
 gsdll_execute_end-returns -17
and in task list:
 Explorer
 Internat
 Windvi
 Systray

When removing Windvi, it goes to the end of list:
 Explorer
 Internat
 Systray
 Windvi
and next attempt of removing gives warning that windvi is still running...

Other (private) tests with eps inclusions are OK, so I think you can ignore
the above silly comments ;-) Please believe me, it is just the case of your
wtest.dvi. (To be exact, displaying eps files is well done
and closing windvi doesn't leave any strange process or message.)

In my opinion, at this stage, your windvi is the best thing I found
in <<windowed>> world (including other systems, e.g. xdvi for Linux).

Thank you again for your effort, cheers,
**StaW
Ps. Have you considered such simple:
 \hbox{\special{ps:gsave 0.5 setgray}%
       This text should be grey