Some questions regarding Xemacs on Windows 98

Christian J|nsson chj@lin.foa.se
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 11:27:29 +0100

Hello everybody!

First, let me say that I'm very pleased to see that xemacs-21 is going to be
available for the Win32 environment. I have just tried the beta xemacs-981009
provided by Charles G. Waldman at http://www.nj1.aae.com/~cwaldman/xemacs/ and
my main concern is using xemacs, auctex and Fabrice Popineau's teTeX based beta
Win32 environment for (La)TeX and friends, i.e., ftptex-0.1, available at
ftp://ftp.ese-metz.fr/pub/TeX/win32-beta.

So, to start with, I edit an ~/.emacs, i.e., C:\.emacs, and insert

(require 'tex-site)

and when I start from the Start->Programs->Xemacs menu all is well. However,
associating *.tex files with runemacs, could perhaps be emacsclient soon, it
seems to me that the ~/.emacs is not read. Is this phenomenon known?

Running the C:\COMMAND.COM does not seem to work quite well for me under Win98
and xemacs-981009 from Charles. It seems to get loaded but M-x shell does not
show it to me. Changing to the *shell* buffer shows the text that command.com
is started but I can't do anything with it. Is this also a known problem?

What about printing a buffer? Could it be made to work?

Further, I cannot run latex by using the C-c C-c auctex command. That is, when
issuing C-c C-c while visiting a .tex file, having the tex-site.el file load
prior to visiting, the latex binary is started but it can't locate its file
that is given as argument. Is this also known?

Oh, well, quite some questions, sprung from my mind, the Win 98 box is at
home...

If you have any comments, please also cc them directly to me.

TIA,

/ChJ