[Fontinst] Mapping all diacritics to actual glyphs rather than composites

Christopher Adams chris at raysend.com
Fri Jan 15 08:17:22 CET 2010

I'm presently using fontinst to create my own version of Palatino by
combining URWPalladioL with the SC and OsF files from Adobe (thankfully they
still sell these in Type1 format).

I noticed that for a large number of accented characters that are defined by
T1, in the output from pdflatex they are being drawn as composite glyphs,
rather than independent glyphs as they exist in the Palladio fonts.

For glyphs such as *gbreve* this makes no difference in the final output.
For others such as *eogonek,* the ogonek is misplaced* (and anyway you can't
make a good *eogonek* by compositing; it really needs to be an independent
glyph.). Likewise the *dcaron* and *tcaron* are wrong, because again you
can't achieve good glyphs by compositing the base character with an
apostrophe.

Why are these glyphs being created through composites rather than being
taken from the font? Is this a limitation of Adobe Standard Encoding? I've
tried studying the different encodings but I'm not sure how to apply them to
solve this problem.

* As an aside, the ogoneks in PalladioL are really badly drawn. One aim of
my project is to redraw these glyphs in a separate font and bring them into
to my Palatino via fontinst.

Thanks in advance for your help.

—Christopher