[Fontinst] Need help with Hoefler Text Type1

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom at residenset.net
Mon Aug 27 15:51:51 CEST 2007

23 aug 2007 kl. 16.58 skrev Robin Schwab:

> Thanks John and Lars for the help provided. Hoefler text is now
> working with
> switchable hanging and lining figures, ligatures and swashes.
>
> However I'm not shure wether it is a good idea to use the expert
> superscript
> figures for endnotes. What do you think?
>
> Zitat von Lars Hellström <Lars.Hellstrom at residenset.net>:
>
>>> Second thing is that I get twice as much overfull boxes with hoefler
>>> text as with latin modern. It looks like the elasticity of the spaces
>>> is
>>> wrong.
>>
>> That's easy enough to check: what does the FONTDIMEN section in the
>> generated VPL files say? You might also want to compare with the
>> number
>> of overfull boxes for Times; as I recall it, Computer Modern and
>> derivatives have wider spaces than postscript fonts tend to have.
>
> This is now the biggest problem. See http://www.robinschwab.ch/60.pdf
> for a
> sample page. I get an average of 0.77 box errors per page in latin
> modern, 0.80
> with times but 1.55 with Hoefler text. What's the reason?
>
> Using microtype helps a lot but I still get ~150 box errors. I guess
> if I have
> Hoefler text at the level of latin modern and then use microtype I
> will have
> close to zero hbox errors.
>
> This is my fontimen section:
> (FONTDIMEN
>    (PARAMETER D 1 R 0.000)
>    (PARAMETER D 2 R 0.215)

215 AMF units is indeed rather small, and (as you can see in e.g.
txtfdmns.etx) the stretch and shrink of the space is by default
propotional to the space width, so you may indeed want to override
this. If the spaces are too small, the text might become hard to read
because words get too close (OTOH if the spaces are too large it also
gets hard to read; it's one of those fuzzy issues that have to be
judged from proofs).

Setting the interword integer will scale up all the space-related
metrics, so you could try including
   \metrics\setint{interword}{250}
as an extra item in the \installfont metrics list.

>    (PARAMETER D 3 R 0.129)

If instead you just want to allow for more stretch, you can do e.g.
   \metrics\setint{stretchword}{150}
instead. Either should reduce the amount of overfull boxes.