[Fontinst] New LAO encoding for typesetting Lao language

Morten Hulden morten at untamo.net
Tue Apr 25 14:36:21 CEST 2006

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Please send me the stuff.  Since support for Lao is almost identical
> to Thai support I could include it into the Thai framework of my CJK
> package.

Here. uni-14.def should replace the existing file in
tex/latex/unicode/data, other files are new. Fonts can be downloaded
from http://www.laoscript.net/downloads/

> Have you read my article on Thai in TUGBoat?
>
>   https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb21-2/tb67lemb.pdf

Thanks. Would have saved me from a lot of brainstrain had I read this
before. The Saysettha and related fonts contain ligatures for the Lao
SalaAm + Niggahita + tone marks, so I did not implement the breakdown of
SalaAm -> Niggahita + SalaA. It means the Niggahita + tone mark will not
be placed correctly above the preceding consonant, but I thought that
people who made the font were willing to accept this.

AFAIK Lao do not need the decenderless ligatures.

rgds
Morten