[Fontinst] fonts in pdftex vs tex+ghostscript

Iorek Byrnison iorekbyrnison at mixmail.com
Sat Jul 9 15:41:13 CEST 2005

Hi,

I am a Mac (Panther) user and have installed Gerben Wierda's distribution of
teTeX. Recently, I followed the steps in Philipp Lehman's excellent font guide
to install two fonts to be used with latex: Futura and Herculanum, both already
available in the system as (Mac?) fonts.

I succeded (recreating the directory tree structure in my user directory so as
not to mess things up) but not completely. I run Texshop as fron-end for teTeX,
and while I get the right result when compiling a file through TeX+Ghostscript,
I only get gibberish and error messages like the following when trying with
pdfLatex:

Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex (file phc
r8r): kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 -mag 2+293/600 --dpi 1493
phbr8r
Font phcr8r at 1493 not found

Since Lehman's steps include the modification of pdftex.cfg (in my case, the
copy located in my user directory), I believe that I should be able to use
pdfLatex directly. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you,
Miguel