[Fontinst] Bug in fontinstversion{1.927}

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Jan 5 23:57:07 CET 2005

Am 04.01.2005 um 17:34 schrieb Lars Hellström:

>> OK, I'll do it! I only have no 8x.enc file around ... Is it really
>> standardized or is it just created for an expert PS font to reflect
>> its
>> opulence?
>
> The Postscript Language Reference Manual
> (http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/ps/PLRM.pdf)(7.5M)
> contains
> a specification of this encoding. It's also one of the standard
> encodings
> in PDF (under the name MacExpertEncoding), see
> http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/pdf/index_reference.html for
> details. One seldom reencodes to it though, because 8x fonts usually
> have
> all their glyphs available in the default encoding.

The difference in the glyphs between 8r and the set of OT1, T1, TS1 and
8x and 8xi is almost 300!

You write yourself that 8x is used for special fonts. Since fontinst
can handle this in taking glyphs from an 8x encoded metrics file, I
think we should keep the 8+.etx file free of 8x.

--
Greetings

   Pete