[Fontinst] LIG plus kerning

Ulrich Dirr ud at art-satz.de
Tue Oct 19 19:46:47 CEST 2004

Hi,

I've tried to substitute three consecutive dots by 'ellipsis'. I tell
fontinst if there's a dot to look further if there's a second dot. If it's
the case I replace this with a dummy char. If another dot follows the dummy
char then it is replaced by the 'ellipsis' char.

Is this a correct approach?

But it looks like that the kerning information for, e.g., 'zero'+'ellipsis'
is discarded. It will only be kerned when the 'ellipsis' char is entered
directly but not with the ligature mechanism. Is there a way to get this
nevertheless?

Can I combine this 'two-step'-ligatures with individual kerning pairs?

BTW What is the difference between 'latin' and 'newlatin' (v1.926), which
one is to be preferred, or where can I read about it? (it looks like small
caps fonts are spaced out a bit more with newlatin)

Best regards,
Ulrich Dirr