Question -- not a bug

Ravi and Vidhya Shanker ravidh@netscape.net
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 17:10:56 -0400

Hi,

I apologize for writing to this address, but I do not
seem to find an address for asking questions.

My dilemma is as follows:

I would like to create a virtual font based on a Sanskrit
font developed by Charles Wikner (available under CTAN).
Can I use fontinst to do this, or is fontinst limited to
European characters?

All the examples I have seen only deal with fontinst in terms
of Times Roman or the Adobe Font Metrics.

The problem I have is that every time I run fontinst, it creates
a rather empty .vpl file with the "CODINGSCHEME UNKNOWN" message
in it. If I try the examples (with .afm files and latin.mtx),
I get a large .vpl file with all sorts of stuff in it. I think
I'm missing something very small, but very important. Could
someone help?

Cheers,
Ravi Shanker,
Chicago,