v1.8 (1998/06/30): confusion rangedash/endash etc.

Lars Hellström Lars.Hellstrom@math.umu.se
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 07:02:10 -0500

>Hello Alan,

Well, Alan hasn't been writing that much on the list lately, and he isn't
maintaining fontinst any more, so I hope you won't mind if I answer this
instead.

>I had the following problem with fontinst 1.80 as it is distributed with
>teTeX-1.0:
>
>The files ot1.etc and t1.etx use "rangedash" as glyph/slot name for the
>en-dash and "punctdash" for the em-dash, whereas all the other files
>(8r.etx and 8y.etx in particular) use "endash" and "emdash" as slot
>name.

That's pretty much how it is, yes. There are actually lots of glyphs which
occur under one name in the raw encodings and under another in the OT1, T1,
and TS1 encodings. The way it is supposed to work is that you also use
latin.mtx (or latinsc.mtx, or textcomp.mtx, or some other file which you
could have made yourself) to do for example

\setglyph{rangedash}
   \ifisint{monowidth}\then
      \glyph{hyphen}{1000}
   \else
      \glyph{endash}{1000}
   \fi
\endsetglyph

so that in most cases, a rangedash will indeed be an endash.

As you can see, an advantage with this is that a rangedash can be something
different in a monowidth font than it is in a propotional font.

>I'm sorry, I haven't checked whether this is the current version of
>fontinst.

There is a v1.902 of fontinst available, but that is kind of a
beta-release. I hope to get v1.910 finished soon, but that will also be a
beta-release. Thus v1.801 should be considered the current version.

For the fontinst maintenance team,
Lars Hellström