[dvipdfmx] Multiple color stacks

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 17:51:30 CEST 2022

On 19/04/2022 16:46, Philip Taylor (Hellenic Institute) wrote:
> On 19/04/2022 16:35, Joseph Wright wrote:
>> [...] Also at the macro level we can catch some 'hidden' resets,
> /*Although*/ at the macro level ?

Yes :)

>> As it stands, I can't risk using the multiple stack approach, which is
>> a real shame.
>
> So how do you propose that this be addressed, and by whom (i.e., which
> team(s), not which individual(s)) ?

I hope that the maintainers of dvipdfmx will be able to look at it. I
have not checked in the code, but I suspect that the fact that one can
currently use

      \special{color push <name>}

and

     \special{pdf:bc [<array>]}

means that internally the two are represented in the same way. dvipdfmx
outputs the value of these colors in PDF format, so I imagine that the
conversion could be done *before* adding to "stack 0", which would then
take these legacy value or direct usage with PDF specs as equivalent.

If there is no chance of anyone else looking, I will try to find a way
to do this in the code myself. However, I really don't programme in C,
so it will be a largely copy-paste effort.

Joseph