[dvipdfmx] choosing type1 vs. pk

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jun 19 23:12:44 CEST 2021

Hi Shunsaku,

    The absence of font mapping definition does not mean that dvipdfmx
    uses PK fonts,

This seems strange to me. Without a map line, a Type 1 font usually
cannot be successfully used. Although ... maybe that is not true in the
CJK world? Is it useful to always use Type 1 fonts there, even without
map lines?

    it means default settings (for the encoding and options) to be used
    for that font.

By "default settings" do you mean something hardwired into the code
("use type1 if available"), or is there a way users can affect it?
Other than by making .pfb files unavailable.

In dvips and pdftex, if there is no map line, it switches to pk:

  env TEXFONTMAPS=/none dvips hello.dvi
  This is dvips(k) 2021.1 Copyright 2021 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
  </usr/local/texlive/2021/texmf-dist/fonts/pk/ljfour/public/cm/dpi600/cmr10.pk>
(hello.dvi is just   tex \\relax hello \\end  or equivalent.)

    This behavior is the same as the original dvipdfm (without "x") and
    can't be changed.

The behavior could be changed for dvipdfmx while remaining the same for
dvipdfm compatibility mode. It seems useful, in principle, to me for
users to be able to control what format gets used.

Wdyt? --thanks, karl.