[dvipdfmx] "mktexpk" is not disabled for fonts loaded by relative path

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Oct 9 00:19:09 CEST 2020

Thanks for the research, Akira.

    [A] \font\x=./cmr10
    (1) pdftex:
    Proceeds as usual by using cmr10.pfb in the system.

    (2) dvipdfmx:
    Proceeds as usual by using cmr10.pfb in the system.

    (3) dvips:
    dvips: Font ./cmr10 not found; characters will be left blank.

I think the dvips behavior is preferable, for the reasons I wrote before.

    [B] Delete cmr10.600pk if it exists.
        Delete cmr10.pfb and delete a line in pdftex.map:
    cmr10    CMR10    <cmr10.pfb

    (1) MKTEXPK=1 pdftex test
    call mktexpk automatically

    (2) MKTEXPK=1 dvipdfmx test
    call mktexpk automatically

    (3) MKTEXPK=1 dvips test
    dvips: Font ./cmr10 not found; characters will be left blank.

Again I think the dvips behavior is preferable, on the theory that if a
user asks for a font in a specific directory, automatic intervention
is not desired.

However ... given the longstanding discrepancy in behavior here, and the
relative rarity of anyone bothering with bitmap fonts at all any more, I
can't say I'm enthused about spending time making everything consistent.
Certainly not going to be a priority in my life, anyway.

    If cmr10.600pk exists,
    dvips: Font ./cmr10 not found; using cmr10

That message from dvips seems pretty dumb. Sigh.

    and uses cmr10.600pk in both cases of
    MKTEXPK=0 dvips test
    MKTEXPK=1 dvips test
    dvipdfmx and pdftex seem to behave similarly.

Good. --thanks, karl.