[dvipdfmx] missing annotation rectangle if the box contains no glyph

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Jun 25 12:42:42 CEST 2020

>> But couldn't there be a generic special that describes an area and that
>> xdvipdfmx simply ignores outside bann/eann but takes into account
>> inside the annotation?
>>
>> E.g.
>>
>> \special{pdf:rule width 32pt height 9pt depth 1pt} %ignore
>> \special{pdf:bann ...}
>> \special{pdf:rule width 32pt height 9pt depth 1pt} %
>> some other stuff   \special{pdf:rule width 32pt height 15pt depth 0pt} %
>> more other stuff
>> \special{pdf:eann ...}

> My suggested new special pdf:xann (not pdf:ann) is for such purpose.
> The following special

>   \special{pdf:xann width 32pt height 9pt depth 1pt}

> within pdf:bann and pdf:eann block tells dvipdfmx to treat it as a box
> with size width 32pt, height 9pt, and depth 1pt, located at current
> point. But meaningful only for annotation region calculation and no
> graphics object drawn.

Yes, but what I meant is, what would happen if such a special is
outside a bann/eann? Is it then simply ignored (and so harmless) or
will it confuse xdvipdfmx (and so should be avoided)?

And what happens if there are more than one of such a \special inside
a bann/eann. E.g. imagine a link (perhaps even going over two lines)
with a number of \phantom inside:

\special{pdf:bann ...}
\phantom{hello} world \phantom{some more} text!
\special{pdf:eann ...}

If we add the \special to the \phantom, then there will be more than
one such \special and additionally also normal text.

Will it then be able to figure out the annotation area?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Ulrike Fischer