[biblio] biblatex style to output plain text (a la bibtex)?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Sep 14 22:47:32 CEST 2022

Is there a biblatex style which outputs plain text, more or less like
the .bbl file that BibTeX generates? Or, equivalently, more or less the
result of typesetting the biblatex .bbl? That is, still using UTF-8 or
TeX control sequences for accents, etc., but with all the biblatex
markup commands removed.

For example, for this tiny bib entry:

  @Misc{Miller:latexml:base,
    author = {Bruce Miller},
    title  = {{\textsl{\texttt{LaTeXML}}}: A {\LaTeX} to {XML} Converter},
    url    = {https://mast.nist.gov/LaTeXML/},
  }

What I need is something like what BibTeX outputs, which is simply the
commands to typeset the entry:

  \bibitem{Miller:latexml:base}
  B.~Miller.
  \newblock {\textsl{\texttt{LaTeXML}}}: A {\LaTeX} to {XML} converter.
  \newblock \url{https://mast.nist.gov/LaTeXML/}

What BibLaTeX outputs, with
\usepackage[giveninits=true,style=numeric,backend=bibtex,isbn=false]{biblatex}
is below. Not something that is parsable by anything except biblatex.
Hence my question.

I need this as the basis for the citation information that I upload to
Crossref, which needs to be (basically) UTF-8 plain text.  It's not
crucial, since it is possible to copy/paste the typeset-by-biblatex
output as plain text for Crossref. But, it would be nice to do better.

Thanks for any info. --thanks, karl.

  \entry{Miller:latexml:online}{online}{}
    \name{author}{1}{}{%
      {{hash=MB}{%
         family={Miller},
         familyi={M\bibinitperiod},
         given={Bruce},
         giveni={B\bibinitperiod},
      }}%
    }
    \strng{namehash}{MB1}
    \strng{fullhash}{MB1}
    \field{label}{LTX}
    \field{labelnamesource}{author}
    \field{labeltitlesource}{title}
    \field{sortinit}{M}
    \field{sortinithash}{M}
    \field{title}{{\textsl{\texttt{LaTeXML}}}: A {\LaTeX} to {XML} Converter}
    \verb{url}
    \verb https://mast.nist.gov/LaTeXML/
    \endverb
    \field{urlday}{12}