[accessibility] numfocus.org sponsorship

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Wed Jun 20 00:32:08 CEST 2018

Hi Karl,

On Jun 20, 2018, at 7:04 AM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org<mailto:karl at freefriends.org>> wrote:

Courtesy of Dave Walden, I just heard about this organization that
sponsors research-oriented software development.
https://www.numfocus.org/information-fiscal-sponsorship

Reading the entry page, this paragraph seems most relevant:

What is a Fiscally Sponsored Project?
Fiscally Sponsored Projects are open source projects that enter into a specific contractual and legal relationship with NumFOCUS. The agreement confers the project with all the benefits of NumFOCUS’s nonprofit status as a 501(c)(3) public charity in the United States, which enables collection of tax-deductible contributions and confers eligibility for grant funds restricted to qualified nonprofit organizations. NumFOCUS ensures that all funds directed to Fiscally Sponsored Projects will further our nonprofit mission and be used for tax-exempt purposes. In exchange, NumFOCUS takes a small percentage of any funds directed to the project to cover costs associated with handling all taxes, financials, and legal matters for the project.

This seems to be saying that they will
 • help attract sponsorship
not that they will provide it themselves.

TUG already has 501(c)(3) status, yes?
So we can do most of this ourselves, right? (If we have appropriate expertise.)

On the other hand “eligibility for grant funds” would need to be explored;
as surely TUG is a qualified non-profit organization – but my University would not be.
That sounds like maybe they might already have some pot available; but we would
need our project to attract more, to keep such a pot intact for other projects.

I'm not sure if the PDF accessibility work for TeX exactly fits in their
model, but it's the closest I've seen ... FWIW ... -k

Thanks for the pointer.

Cheers

Ross

Dr Ross Moore

Mathematics Dept | 12 Wally’s Walk, 734
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114<tel:%2B61%202%209850%209695>
M:+61 407 288 255<tel:%2B61%20409%20125%20670>  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au<mailto:rick.minter at mq.edu.au>

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au<http://mq.edu.au/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D030BE.D37A46F0]<http://mq.edu.au/>

CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.
Please consider the environment before printing this email.<http://mq.edu.au/>

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University.<http://mq.edu.au/>