Which place for docs in French, German, etc?

Alan Jeffrey TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Wed, 28 Feb 96 11:45 GMT

The documentation directory structure should be based around making
it easy for A. N. Punter to find the documentation they're after.  If
we go for:

   $texmf/doc/<language>/<package>

then this makes it easy to find (e.g.) all French documentation, but
difficult to find (e.g.) all documentation on AMS-LaTeX.  If we go
for:

   $texmf/doc/<package>/<language>

then the situation is reversed.  I find it unlikely that A. N. Punter
is going to be searching for AMS-LaTeX documentation in French and
would rather find French Babel documentation than English AMS-LaTeX
documentation.

In addition, so few packages have multi-lingual documentation that I
think it's pointless adding an extra directory level for the few that
do.

Alan.