Opening a can of worms

Joachim Schrod TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 16:18:00 +0100 (MEZ)

Ulrik wrote:

> > And what do you do with documents that say
> >
> > \usepackage{fancyheadings}
>
> What about: wait until Piet van Oostrum has finished his promised update
> and then say
>
>   \usepackage{fancyhdr} % read: fancyheader shortened to 8 characters

Sorry, but that is not an option. (1) fancyhdr is an other package
than fancyheadings. (2) It would mean that I have to change legacy
documents which exist in the thousands. My users would grill me (and
they would be completely right with that wish).

> Please don't start this mess again.  Simply stick to 8+3 characters
> whereever possible and be portable.

Tell that wish the developers. We are *NOT* the developer's community
here, and we must not make such requirements. TDS is concerned with
installation of _existing_ packages, not of some nebulous amount of
new ones. We don't plan a new TeX system, we should concentrate on a
structure that can be employed by existing systems _now_.

Cheers,
	Joachim

PS:
> Cheers, Ulrik.
>
> (who hates having to rename his Unix files when transferring them
> via DOS floppies)

I would recommend zip or tar. :-) It has other advantages in addition.

Joachim Schrod			Email: schrod@iti.informatik.th-darmstadt.de
Computer Science Department
Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany