Not off-topic: Wrong couple divorced after computer error by law firm Vardag's (Erik Nijenhuis)

William F Hammond hmwlfsr at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 03:01:33 CEST 2024

Erik Nijenhuis writes:

> . . .
> For some simple legal documents, I would use Markdown as input source.
> I find XML way to technical for legal authors.  , , ,

In my view XML markup for documents is not more technical
than LaTeX markup so long as one does not mix XML
namespaces.  They are at the same level of technicality.

I would see the use of both LaTeX and an XML markup for
documents as less technical (and probably better) than any
deployment of JSON or YAML for document markup.  [ For
example, look at pandoc's translation of Lamport's standard
example sample2e.tex into JSON/AST. ]

> Lastly, I use YAML for user-input (which client, which rate, etc.). To
> give an idea, one YAML file results in the full compilation of a
> proposal (typical letter class), an assignment agreement (typical legal
> document class), and the underlying terms and conditions (also typical
> legal document class).

1.  I think this means that you are using YAML only as an
    envelope for several LaTeX documents and not that you
    wrote, for example, the source of your terms and
    conditions in YAML.

    Is that correct?

2.  Looking at meta information in the PDF that you posted I
    see that "Xerdi" is listed as PDF creator.  How is Xerdi
    involved?  Is YAML part of what Xerdi offers?

Thanks.

                              -- Bill

https://www.facebook.com/william.f.hammond
http://www.albany.edu/~hammond/

𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒔𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒆𝒎𝒐𝒄𝒓𝒂𝒄𝒚 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒊𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒍𝒐𝒔𝒕.
   -- 𝐊𝐞𝐧 𝐁𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐬