Re: MakeUppercase not recognizing ẞ

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Thu May 4 19:24:08 CEST 2023

On 03/05/2023 11:11, Martin Münch wrote:
> Thank you, Joseph, it works!
> I did not know that \MakeUppercase takes any optional arguments at all.
> Where are those documented, please?

The optional argument is a recent addition to the LaTeX kernel, and is
covered in usrguide ("texdoc usrguide" will normally open this).

As I said, we are working with the authors of babel and polyglossia to
enhance the localisation of these commands (and others). There are some
refinements planned for the Summer 2022 kernel release, most notably a
mechanism to customise the outcome for selected codepoints with *all*
engines, and better passing of localisation data to the kernel. It's
likely we will continue to work in this area, as tagging, etc., also
needs to know about localisation.

Joseph