[texhax] [tex-live] tlmgr update --self

Arno Trautmann Arno.Trautmann at gmx.de
Mon Jun 6 14:56:36 CEST 2011

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
> Joseph Wright wrote:
>>
>> My point was that for people who use the command line interface, and are
>> therefore not scared by
>>
>>      tlmgr update --self
>>      tlmgr update --all
>>
>> then the combined version is not a big leap. For most users, I suspect
>> that using the command line interface *at all* is too big a leap
>> compared with the graphical interface.
>>

> Understood, and agreed.

Understood, but disagreed …
Reason: I hold a course on LaTeX, and it is possible to tell people to
go to a command line and hack in some command. But real interaction is
much harder, because one has to read – and that seem to be a tricky
thing nowadays. (Talking of students of physics and mathematics, i.e.
people who actually should be able to …)
However, I didn't know that tlmgr can take these three arguments at
once. Of course now, it's no big deal to tell people to hack in all
three arguments, but it is harder to remember for them.

Also, if the same result could be possible with only one argument, why
force people to all three?

cheers
Arno